Programs & Services
|Home > Programs & Services > Taiwan's Organic Agricultural Development Policy and Its Measures|
Taiwan's Organic Agricultural Development Policy and Its Measures
Organic agriculture stresses on the characteristics of production, life, and ecology, and it is also the most environment-friendly method of production of agricultural products. Not only can it produce safe and fine products but also reduce the pollution impact on the environment, effectively contributing to the biodiversity and the sustainable development of agriculture. Organic agriculture is without doubt beneficial to both food safety and national health.
The management of organic agricultural products began in 2007 after the government introduced the Agricultural Production and Certification Act in order to uplift the quality and safety of agricultural products and its processed goods while protecting consumers' health and interests. Therefore, the structures of organic agriculture regulations had gradually become complete, winning the trust from consumers and increasing market demand at the same time. Moreover, as famers and enterprises are encouraged to join the organic agriculture business, more opportunities for the industry are created.
II. Methods of application
1. Counsel farmers to engage in organic production
(1) Organic Agriculture Technical Service Groups have been established by Agricultural Research and Extension Stations in various districts to offer guidance on organic cultivation technique and know-how management.
(2) Reimburse organic-certified farmers, production and marketing groups, and farmers' associations for certification and inspection expenses.
(3) Give subsidies to organic farmers on application of domestic organic fertilizer, installation of greenhouse facilities and simple waste composting equipment.
(4) Offer assistance in establishing organic cultivation area in order to avoid pollution to adjacent fields while raising management efficiency.
2.Expand multiple marketing channels to promote organic agricultural products
(1) Match organic product supplier with school (business) catering service, help establish organic farmers' market and franchised retail counters, thus increasing sale channels of the products.
(2) Set up E-shops to promote organic products along with the issuance of electronic newsletters and product QR code.
(3) In order for genuine organic ingredients to be more accessible to consumers, restaurants are encouraged to utilize domestic organic agricultural products, therefore offering better choices for the customers.
3. Intensify consumers' education
(1) Promote certified domestic organic agricultural product seal and label on the media such as websites, radio, newspapers and TV.
(2) Provide training to volunteers and religious organizations for the promotion of organic agriculture by participating in exhibition and sale activities.
(3) Organize farm tours and experience activities to give the participants better understanding of the production process on the farm so that the participants will become active supporters of organic agricultural products.
4. Certification management
Implement the authentication and audit mechanism, reinforce organic product quality inspection as well as certification label verification. Non-compliant businesses would be penalized according to the Agricultural Production and Certification Act.